Family of Green Card Holders (Permanent Residents)

As a Green Card holder (permanent resident), you may petition for certain family members to immigrate to the United States as permanent residents.

You may petition for the following Family members:

  • Spouse (husband or wife)

  • Unmarried children under 21

  • Unmarried son or daughter of any age

To obtain a Green Card for your family member, you must:

  • File For I-130, Petition for Alien Relative

  • Provide proof of your status to demonstrate that you are a permanent resident.

  • submit evidence of the qualifying relationship such as a birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce decree, etc. See the form instructions for specific documents required.

  • Submit proof of any legal name change for you or your family member (the beneficiary).

See the instruction for Form I-130, petition for Alien Relative, for detailed instructions. Contact The Law Office of Mubarak Malik| The Immigration Advocate for more information and assistance.

Preference Categories

When petitioning for your relative, the following preference categories apply:

  • First preference: Unmarried, adult sons and daughters of U.S. citizens. (Adult means 21 or older)

  • Second preference (2A): Spouses of Green Card holders, unmarried children (under 21) of permanent residents.

  • Second preference (2B): Unmarried adult sons and daughters of permanent residents.

  • Third preference: Married sons and daughters (any age) of U.S. citizens.

  • Fourth preference: Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens.

A visa becomes available to a preference category according to the priority date (the date the I-130 was properly filed).  Contact The Law Office of Mubarak Malik| The Immigration Advocate for more information and assistance.

© 2019 The Law Office of Mubarak Malik - The Immigration Advocate.

All Rights Reserved

Legal Advertising for Immigration Law Services.

The Information on this website if for general information purposes only. Nothing on this website should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship upon receipt or viewing.

Please Contact Our Law Office for Legal Assistance.